Yup’ik Eskimos combine a contemporary and a traditional subsistence lifestyle in a blend unique to the arctic. Modern Yup’iks work and live in western style but still hunt and fish in traditional subsistence ways. Locals fish salmon, whitefish, lamprey eels and pike. They also hunt moose, bear, fox, beaver, lynx and other animals to put food on the table.
All villages have at least one store and a post office. Villages also have good telephone systems, satellite TV, and Internet access. LYSD technology is among the best in the nation.
Hmmm...one store and a post office. Interesting. I guess I wouldn't get my fix of shopping or restaurants. But I guess I have a wide variety of things I can hunt...yuck! One other thing that was interesting to me...
The Lower Yukon School District is located in very remote area of Alaska. Geographically, our District is half the size of the State of Louisiana and includes 11 very small villages with no connecting roads. Most travel is by small airplanes although occasionally, travel is by snow machine in the winter and boat in the summer.
Ok...now this is beyond crazy! No cars?
So, I have come to the conclusion that Missouri is quite cozy and if I really NEED snow then I will buy a snow machine to sit on our roof. :) Hey, why not! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment